On July 16th 2022, the new 988 phone number for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline went live. 988 is now available for call, text, or chat for those experiencing a mental health-related or suicidal crisis, or those looking to help a loved one through a crisis. The aim of 988 is to improve access to crisis services in a way that meets the country’s growing suicide and mental health related crisis care needs. For more information about this new hotline, please check out this webpage from the NJ Department of Human Services.
Governor Murphy’s Administration announces opening of wait list for State Rental Assistance Program
The open enrollment period for pre-applications is from Monday, July 11, 2022 at 9am until Friday, July 22, 2022 at 5pm. Click here to view and/or download more details regarding the State Rental Assistance Program.
The New Jersey Department of Community Affairs (DCA) announced that its Division of Housing and Community Resources (DHCR) will be accepting pre-applications online for the State Rental Assistance Program (SRAP) Waiting List. Pre-Applications will be accepted to enter a lottery for the statewide SRAP program in the Elderly, Family, Disabled, and Homeless categories.
Elizabethtown Gas can connect you to financial assistance programs.
- Financial assistance programs available include:
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Universal Service Fund (USF)
- Payment Assistance for Gas and Electric (PAGE)
- Lifeline Assistance Program
- NJ Shares
- NJ Comfort Partners
For more information, call customer service Monday through Friday from 7am until 8pm at 1(800) 242-5830, or click here to view and/or download the Elizabethtown Gas information sheet in English and Spanish.
The final moratorium on home energy terminations ends on June 15th and shut offs will proceed. There is help to pay old bills, pay future bills and to get protection from being shut off.
The New Jersey Department of Community Affairs is offering utility bill help. Don’t get shut off, get protected. Click here to view and/or download the utility bill help flyer that details various utility assistance offerings.
Union County, Hillside Family Success Center and United Way of Greater Union County announce financial services and/or educational services available through the Family Support and Prevention Program
- Do you have past due bills? You may be eligible to receive financial services. We can help you with rental arears, utility arears, child care expenses, food and other one-time financial emergency needs (subject to approval).
- Does your child have a health issue? Does your child struggle with learning? We can help you with coaching/guidance in addressing barriers to your child’s success, connect your with community resources, caregiver education and life skills and getting involved in family engagement activities.
- Must be a Union County, NJ resident, and have a dependent under the age of 18 or differently abled living in the household.
- For more information and to make an an appointment, please contact the Program Manager, Sydney Pentland during office hours Monday-Friday at (908) 353-7171 ext 130, or email here.
- Click here to view and/or download the financial services flyer for this program in both English and Spanish.
- Click here to view and/or download the educational services flyer for this program in both English and Spanish.
The Union County Board of County Commissioners announced the launch of the “Empowering Our Youth” Summer Employment Program. Now open to applicants, this program is run by the Union County Division of Youth Services and is offered to County residents ages 16 through 24 years old.
This employment program is offering both full-time and part-time positions at various locations at $15 an hour. The “Empowering Our Youth” Summer Employment Program can provide uniforms, transportation, and childcare to those looking for summer jobs.
- The deadline to apply is Thursday, May 19, 2022
- Click here to view and/or download an informational flyer for this event.
- Participants must meet WIOA qualifications, submit a complete application, and provide copies of birth certificate, social security card and unexpired ID for certification.
- Participants must attend orientation, interview, and career/skills assessment to start program.
- Apply online by clicking downloading the fillable PDF and filling it out, and then either dropping it off or emailing the completed application. You can also print out the application and fill it out.
- Drop-Off: 1143-1145 East Jersey Street, 4th Floor, Elizabeth, NJ 07201
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In Person: Want to fill out the application in person? No problem. Go to one of the following locations.
- DYS Youth Forward in Elizabeth, 1143-1145 East Jersey Street, 4th Floor
- One-Stop Center in Elizabeth, 921 Elizabeth Avenue
- American Job Center in Plainfield, 200 West Second Street, #4
Please contact Jasmine Sowah at 908-558-2523 with any questions.
The Union County Board of Commissioners is kicking off the Fresh Start program on April 27th, 2022, providing shower and laundry on a first come first basis.
- Please click here to view and/or download the flyer.
- For more information, please call the DHS Action Line at (888) 845-3434
The Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), funded by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), helps low-income households pay for broadband service and internet-connected devices. Up to $30 per month may be applied to an individual’s local internet service provider. In addition, a one-time discount of up to $100 for a laptop, tablet, or desktop computer.
The COVID-19 pandemic has brought overwhelming grief to many families. FEMA’s mission is to help people before, during and after disasters. They are dedicated to helping ease some of the financial stress and burden caused by the virus. FEMA is providing financial assistance for COVID-19-related funeral expenses incurred after January 20, 2020.
FEMA’s Region 2 specialists, in the hardest-hit communities of New York, New Jersey, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands, are working closely with stakeholder groups, enlisting their help with outreach to affected families and communities.
FEMA is giving a presentation next week for organizations and community partners that would like an overview of our Funeral Assistance program. The presentation is on Wednesday, March 23rd, 2022 from 11am until 12pm and can be accessed via this link with passcode 220797. All interested should please reach out to email@example.com and a calendar invite will be sent.