Council President Michele Yamakaitis was elected to the Linden City Council and served the constituents of the 8th Ward from 2006 through 2018. During her tenure on Council, she has served on various committees: Council President Pro Tempore, Personnel, Budget, Fire, Public Property & Community Services, Accident Review, Construction Code, and Engineering. She also acted as liaison to the Board of Health, Board of Education, Local Assistance Board, Mayor’s Youth Commission, Office of Emergency Management, and the Library Board. She also chaired the Scout in Government Day Activities for many years.
Council President Michele Yamakaitis resides in Linden on McGillvray Place with her husband, Luke, her two sons Danny and Tommy, and her beloved pets, her dog, Abbey, and her cat, Toby. She grew up on the Elizabeth/Linden border in the Bayway section of Elizabeth, the third of four children of the late Patricia and Robert Szewczyk. Her husband, Luke, is a lifelong resident of Linden and the fifth of eight children of Bernadette and the late Bernard Yamakaitis, growing up on the corner of East Henry Street and Washington Avenue.
Council President Michele Yamakaitis is a graduate of St. Hedwig Grammar School in Elizabeth, Elizabeth High School and Union County College where she holds an Associates of Art Degree and majored in Early Childhood Education. She is currently employed as a teacher assistant in a public school system.
During her tenure as Councilwoman of the 8th Ward, Michele Yamakaitis was very involved in bringing activities and programs to the 8th Ward and the City of Linden. She established regular community meetings to keep the residents of the 8th Ward involved and informed, hosted many community events such as the annual visit from Santa, annual 8th Ward Egg Hunt, and Community picnics. The 8th Ward was the first ward to have any of these events.
Additional civic experience, community involvement and affiliations include the following:
- Former President, 2nd Vice President/Current Member – 8th Ward Democratic Club
- Director of Religious Education/Catechist – St. Hedwig R.C. Church (2001-Present)
- Lector – St. Hedwig R.C. Church
- 2008 Marshal – Pulaski Day Parade Committee – St. Theresa Church (Linden)
- Linden F.M.B.A Service Award Recipient – 2017
- Member – NAACP (Linden/Roselle Branch)
- Member – Friends of Linden Library
- Member – Linden City Democratic Club
- Member – Union County College Alumni Association
- Member – Phi Alpha Theta Honor Society (Kean University)
- Member – National Honor Society (Elizabeth High School)
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me.